Irene Lidia here 👋 This week, I'm diving into a topic that almost feels like a rite of passage for many digital nomads: the experience of taking a night bus *cue the dramatic music!*
I'll never forget my first time on a sleeper bus. I was in Cambodia, faced with a choice between a pricey plane ticket from Siem Reap to Sihanoukville or an adventure on a night bus. You guessed it – I chose the bus. It wasn't just about saving a few bucks (though that's always a plus!); it was about embracing a quintessential nomadic experience.
Now, let me tell you, that ride was something else. It wasn't the smoothest or the most comfortable, but it taught me invaluable lessons about what to pack for future sleeper bus journeys. Because, let's face it, when you're a digital nomad, these night rides become a part of your travel routine.
So, here's my personal "survival kit", complete with my top product picks, to make your night bus adventures not just bearable, but kinda enjoyable:
- Travel Pillow: The unsung hero of any night bus trip. A good pillow can mean the difference between a sleepless night and arriving fresh for your next adventure. Here's my favorite one – it's been a game-changer for me.
- Noise-Canceling Earplugs: To create your own bubble of tranquility amidst the chaos of travel. It's amazing how much a little quiet can improve a long journey. These are the ones I swear by!
- Eye Mask: A simple, yet powerful tool to escape the bright lights of the bus and slip into a dark, peaceful haven for sleep. This particular eye mask has been my night-time savior (not just on buses, but on airplanes, too).
- Compact Blanket: Those nighttime bus rides can unexpectedly turn chilly. I always carry this compact blanket that has been my best defense against the cold, making sure I stay warm and comfortable during the journey.
- Portable Charger: Keeping your devices charged is crucial. There's nothing worse than your phone or laptop dying when you need them most. This portable charger hasn't let me down yet – it's a lifeline for any digital nomad.
- Secure Bag for Valuables: Having peace of mind about your valuables lets you enjoy the journey without worry. I've personally picked this small bag to keep my essentials safe, which has successfully given me one less thing to fret about.
Taking a night bus, much like life as a digital nomad, is about the unexpected. It’s about finding joy in the little things and learning to roll with the punches.
So, next time you're hopping on a night bus, pack light but pack right. And remember, every journey is an opportunity to learn, grow, and embrace the beautiful unpredictability of this nomadic life.
Until our paths cross on some winding road,
Irene Lidia x
P.S. I'd love to hear from you! What are your must-have items for surviving a night on a sleeper bus? 💬 Hit 'Reply' to this email and we will share your thoughts on our Instagram page.
The Latest Articles from the FN Website
🧑💻 #nomadstory of the Week
📸 #nomadpostcard of the Week
✨ #nomadquote of the Week
"Be brave. Take risks. Nothing can substitute experience." – Paulo Coelho
🔥 Our Nomad Resource of the Week
Airwander is an innovative flight search engine specializing in creating value-added stopovers. This free platform leverages advanced algorithms to suggest optimal stopover destinations, transforming necessary layovers into opportunities for exploration or remote work in new cities.
With options for one-way, round-trip, multi-city flights, or world tours, in various travel classes, Airwander suits a range of travel preferences and budgets. Its virtual interlining technology, based on machine learning, helps travelers discover unique flight combinations and affordable airfares, making it an ideal tool for the adventurous traveler.
👉 If you want more digital nomad resources, check them all on our website 📚
This newsletter includes affiliate links, and we may earn a commission from purchases made. As we are mostly funded by you as our readers, we strive to endorse only products and services we truly believe in and think would be useful to you 🙌